Monday, October 5, 2015

Choice = Student Engagement

Let's start by saying, I have learned a lot over the past few years-and the students are benefiting. For sometime now, I have been working hard to bring in choice-based and inquiry learning. Basically, I am staying active in learning about what students care about and not only what I have to say to them. I am learning to lead by asking questions and encouraging students to work together to learn and share creative ideas.
Our classroom is always changing so that students will need the materials necessary for their individual project choices. We have a room divided into different stations: Painting, drawing, making/tinkering, mixed-media/collage, building, and mess :) Yes, mess.
I would encourage any teacher who hasn't taken the time to investigate choice-based learning and stations to give it a shot.
Get ready for a whole new, and exciting, dynamic: Students working because they want to!











No comments:

Post a Comment